Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default A couple of these on an ultralight for border patrol should doit.

The Davenport's wrote:
To have one of those gatlings....it'd make me happy.

Hell, I couldn't afford the AMMO for the thing. We had three General
Electric miniguns on the AC-47 "Spooky" gunships that I flew in Vietnam
and we carried 24,000 rounds of 7.62. 2,000 in each gun and 18,000
strapped to the floor for reloading. we could empty the airplane in a
matter of half an hour or less. Sure was effective though. :-)

Jhim

Do you mean the AC-130 Spectre?

The AC-130 Spectre was deployed in 1972 and the AC-130 Spooky was deployed
in 1995.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ac-130.htm

And I can find no mention of an AC-47....closest thing is a H-47 Chinook.

Mike

The AC-47D was first used in about 1963 as a test. It worked so well
that the guy that came up with the idea convinced the Air Force to make
more of them. No, I DO NOT mean Spectre. The C-130 gun ship came after
Spooky and was stationed in Thailand. I have about 1200 hours on spooky
during my year in RVN in 1967-1968 and I DO know the difference between
a C-47 and a C-130 (I have over 2000 hours on the C-130 also.

Do a websearch for AC-47D and you'll find a BUNCH of information
regarding Spooks.

Jim