Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default My review of Harbor Freight's 93977 Ratcheting Crimper

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:00:32 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:35:21 -0500, Leon Fisk
wrote:

It depends on the terminal, wire, crimper, use and the
operator. Way too many variables involved for just one
answer as to "why it failed".

Some terminals are just crap and some are really, really
nice. But you pay for the latter, unless you can find a good
deal some how (yard sale, auction...).

Personally I despise the ratchet crimpers. Once you start
squeezing, it is a pain to reposition the lug (some do have
a convenient release, but many don't).

The HF crimper does have a ratchet release lever. I wouldn't exactly
call it "convenient", but it's there.

That is nice to know. I'll have to take a look at it next
time I get to HF. So did you buy one?

I suspect ratchet crimpers work really well in a controlled
setting. Where you know the wire size, terminal and
application. Then you can have any Tom, Dick or Harry
squeeze the handle and get the desired result.

I had to make do with the terminals I had with me in my
parts caddy at the time. Then maybe stand on my head to
reach the wire up underneath the dash or some similarly
awkward place...

I used several different crimp tools though. Needed open
barrel (sometimes called Flag), insulated, un-insulated and
specials for odd RF/coaxial connectors.

It is only in relatively recent years that you can get
inexpensive crimpers that do a pretty decent job. The
specials used to cost ~$100 plus. Kind of hard to justify
buying when you only needed one once or twice a year.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b