Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default looking for ideas- cheap and easy and legal insulation for basementwalls.

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

-snip-

I also didn't really want to go to the expense/labor
of studding out the walls.

-snip-
Space will be storage/quasi workshop only, so it
just needs to be safe and legal, not pretty.

Marson suggested a fire-rated foam- but I have to say. . .

Isn't the first thing you're going to do is hang shelves? [especially
in a damp area you want things off the ground]

Wouldn't studs make that job a lot easier? I think studs will
make your life, now and in the future, a lot easier. [and it will
sure look better to the next guy that comes along if you're selling in
the future]

Jim

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, if this was a proper deep bare-concrete basement, I might go to
that level of effort. But I only plan on keeping the place another 5
years or so, and with my schedule, I'll never be doing woodworking
tinkering projects. For shelves I was just gonna buy some used
industrial metal bolt-togethers at an auction or something. There is one
wood wall in the old garage I can hang shelves on as well, along with
plenty of wall space in the unused rec room next to the old garage.
Living alone in a three-bedroom house means you can adapt some common
areas for other uses, as long as the changes aren't permanent.

If the previous owner(s) had not stupidly buried the old door opening,
it would be a great place for a table saw and such. But it would take 2
people to thread the maze down there with sheets of plywood or long
boards, so the use is likely to be 90% dead storage. I've had to stash
my stuff in some pretty nasty places over the years, so preservation
packaging is no mystery to me. (The large size old ammo cans are great
for that, albeit heavy and overpriced.) If I can move the crap currently
taking up the 'L' in the garage down to the dungeon, that will give a
good accessible space for a small table saw (with a heavy coat of wax,
of course...).

aem sends...