Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Varmint(s) under the house

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:49:12 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 04:15:08 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
: wrote:
:
: :"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:48:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
: : wrote:
: :
: : :"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
: : .. .
: : : On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:17:59 -0500, Norminn
: : : wrote:
: : :
: : : :Get a humane trap from animal control. Decide what to do with the
: : : :animal after it is in the trap. My mom used to relocate possum and
: : : :racoons. You can do it )
: : :
: : : OK, I may go this route. Again, I'd have to do it until at least a
: day
: : : passes with no footprints. I've never relocated a varmint before,
: but I
: : : figure I can locate a free trap here in Berkeley, where we celebrate
: : the
: : : human conscience... sometimes to a fault.
: : :
: : : Dan
: : :
: : :
: : :
: : :Of course, you could just ID the footprint. Maybe it's nothing to be
: : :concerned about.
: : :
: : :http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ561.html
: : :
: :
: : Out of all those, I'd have to say Racoon. However, they didn't show
: : housecat or possum, both of which seem possible hearabouts. It's hard
: : tell from what I'm seeing. I did see several racoons in the
: neighborhood
: : a couple of months ago early one morning before sunrise. And, of
: course,
: : there's loads of cats, including ferral cats around here. I've also
: seen
: : possums, including one in my kitchen some years ago. I stared it down
: : and subsequently eliminated his/her points of entry.
: :
: : Dan
: :
: :
: :When you called your animal control department today, what did you find
: out
: :about removing the animal?
:
: I did not call them. I figure there's not much point, but I may. Anyway,
: I have a plan that (if executed properly) should solve the problem -- a
: portal that allows egress but no ingress.
:
: Dan
:
:
:
:Not much point? Why? Hopefully, you're not basing that decision on anything
:anyone here has said about Berkeley. The animal control department exists
:for a reason.
:
:Tell them the raccoon has been wandering around in the middle of the day and
:acting strange. They'll dispatch someone very quickly.

You're right. I'm going to call them tomorrow (Monday). They may be
helpful and I have nothing to lose. Besides, my plan looks tougher than
I figured. People say that racoons (chances are fair to good it IS a
racoon) are clever enough to get back in with my hinged door plan.