Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Heat - when to set back

---MIKE--- wrote:
I have a small log home. The logs are efficient insulators plus they
act as a heat sink. My heat is baseboard hot water and I have two
thermostats controlled by a homemade switcher. The "day" thermostat is
set to 65° and the night one is 57°. This does save some oil. My
question is about daytime if I leave the house. Does it make sense to
go on the lower setting for just four hours? It would use less oil
during that time but then it would use more to "catch up" when I get
home. What would be the minimum number of hours that would give the
best savings on oil?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Hi,
First using programmable 'stat, decide what you want to do. Most
comfort, most saving or compromise. Then program the 'stat and tweak
it to your liking.