Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Questions

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:

snip

From the sound as it runs, I bet it needs oil.

Open up the headstock and check inside. There's a ball chain belt (looks
like one of those old ball chains used to organize door keys) that brings
oil up to the top of the headstock. If it's missing you'll want to make
sure that it's parts have been removed and replace it.

One thing the 5914 may or may not do is metric threads. I'm not sure
what the story is there.

There was a metric attachment option that consisted of a gear train and
other parts. Those bring good money on Ebay ($500+) and don't come up
often.

Clausing can supply a manual for ~$25 but they'll want the serial number.
Mention any accessories (like that 5C closer) and they will probably include
those as well.

Mike