Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Best stencil material

The roadside signs announcing my business need replacing...

With a huge laborious effort, I now have the sign as an AutoCAD file. My
next step is to have the lines burned/cut into a material so I can make a
stencil. There are a few sections in the sign where the stencil will be only
1/2" wide and a lot where the stencil will be 1" wide. The sign measures 48"
by 96" (4'x8').

So, what would be the best material to use? I can reinforce the very thin
sections mentioned above but not all the 1" wide sections. If I go with
plasma cut steel, I'm guessing I need to go all the way up to 1/8" thick
making the stencil weight a ton. I'm afraid thinner sections will warp and
make painting no fun at all.

Also, if anyone in Minnesota is looking for work, I'm looking for a CNC
plasma cutter or router.

Karl