Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Yes another sharpening ends of end mill question

I've lost most of what I think is called gnashing. How do I do that? The
end mill cut okay. I milled a 1.5 x 1.75" crs block to make a 94 degree
rest for using a diamond wheel to sharpen my scrapers. End mill worked
fine
for me but I have to think that gnashing has a purpose.

I've managed to do this with a die grinder and cutoff wheel. Not the right
tool for the job, but it will work if you're careful. Like you're learning,
try to do the bulk of the material removal in the pedestal grinder freehand.
Putting a proper wheel in this grinder will help a bunch. With practice,
you'll have less than 10 thou to remove on the secondary relief. it won't
hurt a thing if the back part of the relief still shows free hand grind.
Then just do the cutting edge.

For me, the ticket is to have a sharpening day once a year. Then do a bunch.
You can get dull end mills almost free on eBay etc. I now have several
hundred that I've sharpened.

Karl