Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Yes another sharpening ends of end mill question

On Dec 9, 9:22 am, Wes wrote:
I bought one of those enco fixtures,http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...O=949927&PARTP...

Wes

[enable cookies]
[view enco page]
[reset cookie security]

As you noted, chipped end mills need to be ground flat first. I use a
pedestal grinder and also rough-grind the 30 degree relief.

You may not have noted that the cutting flutes slant inward very
slightly toward the center on a factory-ground endmill, which is why
that fixture tilts sideways as well as lengthwise. Any amount of
inward slant seems to work.

Since the fixture doesn't sharpen the side edges that do the actual
side cutting you have to shorten the mill to remove the dull section.
I've modified the endmills that I resharpen by grinding a bevel
instead of a sharp point at the ends of the flutes, using the 30
degree tilt, and limiting depth of cut to the beveled edge.

It's hard to resharpen a center-cutting end mill so that it will
plunge cut. I mill a pocket with them by either drilling a starting
hole or cranking the table back and forth while slowly advancing down.

Jim Wilkins