Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Yes another sharpening ends of end mill question

I bought one of those enco fixtures,
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Tonight I gave it a try using a surface grinder and a normal wheel. The end
mill was a 1/2" HSS 4 flute that I'd done something stupid with and broke
about 0.100" of the edges a year or so ago.

I tried to estimate where the cutting edge would be when I got down 0.100"
to remove the damage. Since you are removing material perpendicular to a
helix the cutting edges are receding CW for this em.

Right there I should have just slapped that end mill into an abrasive saw
and cut away the damaged section or used a grinding vise to grind the end
parallel to the table. The sharpening fixture isn't the tool to use for
that. I'm learning I hope.

I used some dykem to make showing where I was grinding a bit easier and
finally got the primary relief right after having to reorient the bit in
the fixture. If I'd just cut it off or ground it flat it would have been
easier.

Then I tipped the thing over to the 30 degree or so angle, blued it up again
and worked the secondary relief until the margin on the primary looked good
as in like the factory end on the other side.

I've lost most of what I think is called gnashing. How do I do that? The
end mill cut okay. I milled a 1.5 x 1.75" crs block to make a 94 degree
rest for using a diamond wheel to sharpen my scrapers. End mill worked fine
for me but I have to think that gnashing has a purpose.

The enco 'economy' item uses a thumbscrew and a ball. I think the other
higher priced one uses a spring loaded pin. If you pull the 5C holder out
of the economy model, be prepared to loose the ball bearing. Just a tip.

Thanks,

Wes