Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Hull Nick Hull is offline

Default Heat Pump comments

In article
,
Mark wrote:

if you can buy electricity at a good rate a heat pump can be very
economical to operate....but it becomes less effective when the temp
is below freezing, the outside coil can ice up and it needs to go
through a defrost cycle, for this reason most hp systems in cold
climates have another form of heat as a backup.

I'm in E TN and use a heat pump, but did NOT install the resistive
emergency heaters. If I need a bit of extra heat I turn on al,the
lights; if the temp really drops I start the wood stove. I heated using
wood (& solar) for 20 years so a couple of fires per winter is no bother