Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing,sci.chem
[email protected] do_see@do.com is offline

Default Anything I can pour into water heater that will dissolve deposits?

wrote:
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 06:32:27 -0800 (PST), Jack
wrote:

Doc wrote:
Is there anything I can pour into a water heater that will dissolve
mineral deposits and definitely not damage anything inside the tank?
Hopefuly something that will work in a somewhat diluted solution since
buying enough Lime-Away etc. to fill far enough to reach the lower
element obviously isn't practical.

The tank is installed in such a way that once drained it would be
simple to detach it and move it around so rinsing and draining several
times shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Thanks for all input.

Two hings come to mind. (1) Fill it with a cider vinegar solution and
let it set for awhile should work and is pretty safe.. (2) would be a
muratic acid solution, which would do the trick, but is much more
potent and so, harder to determine strength of solution and time to
let work. So I would try the vinegar first. a gallon of vinegar is
realitive inexpensive and fairly safe to use. As actually you could
taste the solution to determine how stong it was without any danger.
Not so with muratic acid!

I'll second the vinegar method. I would NOT use any acid or chemicals
in a device that provides fresh water. Personally, I'd just open the
drain valve and flush it for a half hour, then shut off the cold water
supply valve and drain the tank, refill and repeat once again.

When you drain the tank, open at least one hot water faucet in the
house to allow air to enter into the tank.

To those who suggest replacing a (working) tank, you got way too much
money. I'd be happy to take some off your hands.

I think that they are suggesting that he not waste time and money and
replace the tank. Obviously the tank is not working right or the op
would not have posted the inquiry.