Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Only getting a 6-inch high strip of picture on TV

"Greg Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
Gotcha ... this info is from the back of the set:

Model DS27425
Chassis 27425-07
Family/Group VB8D

No, I'm not trying to fix it myself, have no experience whatsoever in such
things and don't plan to start experimenting now. Basically, what I was
wanting to find out was how big a fix, on top of a bench charge, this is
likely to be. My first thought is to repair the TV if at all possible,
because we've been pleased with it and it suits our needs (we're not
chomping at the bit to go HD; quite frankly it gives me a headache).
However, if we're looking at $100-$150-$200 to fix an out-of-warranty TV
that cost only $249 new at Wal-Mart, then I would have to think strongly
about putting that much money into a new one rather than repairing this
one.

I never have thought about the TV running hot in that space, maybe I
should and will keep it in mind in the future.

Well any time you take something to a repair shop you're probably looking at
$100+, but this should definitely be less than $200. I do this stuff as a
hobby, I usually charge about 50 bucks to fix something like this for
strangers, if you decide to upgrade, try posting the old set on craigslist,
anyone who's reasonably handy with a soldering iron has a good shot at
fixing it.