Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S. Robin S. is offline

Default New/old steel body panels

On Dec 9, 12:01 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Aha. I was hoping you picked this up. So, what do you think these
restoration guys are doing? Epoxy?

To be honest I don't have any idea. Completing the tryout on a
production draw die takes thousands of man hours. I would be very
interested in seeing how these guys get their dies out at a reasonable
rate. Mind you, manually grinding a steel die is a lot different than
manually shaping an epoxy die. And I'd be fairly surprised if their
panels come out of the dies with zero (or perhaps one or two) cosmetic
defects, not to mention the dimensional defects..

One thing though, once they get the die right, it can be scanned and
reproduced on a mill/router fairly easily (if the original epoxy tool
doesn't survive panel demand).

Sorry Ed.

Regards,

Robin