Posted to rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,sci.electronics.repair
Scott Caldwell Scott Caldwell is offline

Default TIP: When replacing capacitors in a video monitor...

Matt, I absolutely agree with you. Anyone whom has done any repairs
at all has made mistakes. Live, learn, move on and above all, respect
electricity!

Scott C.

Matt J. McCullar wrote:
There's usually a big difference in size between a 50 and 250 working
voltage one. And if replacing the lot it should have been obvious by the
size difference between all the new ones?

Indeed it was. Fortunately, the silk screening on the circuit board is what
gave me the clue. After the fact it said that the original cap was
physically much larger than the replacement I had installed. Sometimes
newer drop-in replacment caps are smaller than the originals, but not by
THAT much!

And thanks for the backup, everybody. Everybody makes mistakes, no matter
how many years you've got under your belt. And electricity, like steam and
the ocean, does not respect an idiot; it's waiting for you to make a
mistake. You gotta have respect for it or it'll kill you.

So learn from the mistakes of others as well as your own and don't be shy
about passing on what you've learned. It just might help someone else in
the future.