Posted to rec.games.video.arcade.collecting, sci.electronics.repair
gamefixer gamefixer is offline

Default TIP: When replacing capacitors in a video monitor...

On Dec 8, 1:46 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
clifto wrote:

Ken Layton wrote:
Common sense dictates that you change one capaitor at a time.

Anyone who's ever built a kit of any complexity can see the value of
doing all the unsoldering and cleaning at once, followed by doing all
the parts insertion and clipping at once, followed by doing all the
soldering at once.

That's a prime way to miss out soldering things. It may be the way a
factory makes things but no use for home construction. Start with the
things least effected by heat - resistors etc - and end with the
semiconductors.

Perhaps your method clarifies why you talk about unsoldering when building
a kit. ;-)

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I dunno about that. From the way Ken describes his work he and I do
cap kits in pretty close the same way. I change one cap at a time but
solder them all at the same time. Have yet to miss one in 20+
years....

Matt