Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default OT - Politics

J. Clarke wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

Han wrote:

(J T) wrote in
news:3892-47598E19-457@storefull- 3337.bay.webtv.net:

So, maybe the thing to do would be to pick someone that's
actually qualified for the job, but doesn't want it, and just make
them president. And, if they do a good job they only have to
serve
four years.

Can't be done anymore. Who would accept that nomination? But
while
we're on the subject, who would you propose? That is a serious
question, for a change.

Make "None Of The Above" a choice on every ballot. If it gets more
votes than any candidate, all the candidates on the ballot go on the
scrap heap, the parties have to come up with new names for the
runoff
election, and the office remains vacant until someone can garner
more
votes than "none of the above."

So we go for the next century without a government? Who keeps the
criminals in check after the police all have to quit policing and get
civilian jobs because they haven't been paid in five years?

Not at all. Most offices will still be filled the first go-around, certainly
enough legislative offices will be to pass a spending bill. I think the result
would be a wakeup call to the parties, to shake them up and make them offer
candidates that don't make you hold your nose when voting for the lesser of two
evils.

Another proposal: Eliminate career politicians by enacting universal term
limits of no more than 16 years total in all elective offices (local, state, and
federal combined), with no pension or other retirement benefits.