Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21145 Ignoramus21145 is offline

Default My review of Harbor Freight's 93977 Ratcheting Crimper

On 2007-12-08, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 12:53:04 -0600, Ignoramus21145

On 2007-12-08, Karl Townsend wrote:
I have a similar ratcheting crimp, and I am very satisfied.

I'm curious if I'm the only one...

I've historically had maybe 1 in 20 or 1 in 50 crimps pull out later. Then a
MISERABLE time finding what went wrong. So, I gave up. I solder all my crimp
connectors to the wire.

I do this only on very safety critical things or where there is
contamination, flexing etc, like trailer wiring. Supposedly, a good
crimp does not need soldering. I never had any crimps pull out, but
then, I never had a situation where crimp was taking any serious
mechanical stress.

Just to clarify, I would crimp and solder.

This is exactly where a *good* crimp is the better termination. Solder
wicks up inside stranded wire, making it nearly certain to eventually
break due to fatigue if there is repeated flexing. A good crimp is
gas-tight, so corrosion is not an issue. However, it is not easy to
consistently make good crimps with a hardware-store-type single-action
(not compound leverage) crimper.

Yes.

For heavy wire like welding cable or battery leads, I use a hammer
crimp tool. Not this exact model, but same idea:
http://store.solar-electric.com/hacrtoforlal.html
Hit with BIG hammer, make good crimp. Drag welder around by leads,
the crimps won't pull out!

There are manual crimpers sold for this, trhey are large, like bolt
cutters.