Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default hood hinges --- New/old steel body panels

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
ok, a question for the group related to this thread

I have a 36 cadillac with badly rusted hood hinges - I've cut the rivets
and have the two hinge sections sitting here - the hinge is 3 parts, a
chromed center strip that runs down the center of the hood, and two
chromed (and now badly rusted) side pieces, each rivited to one or the
other side of the hood - I want to make/buy/cause to be made these side
hinge parts - they are mostly standard sheet metal brake work, but the
important part is a curl that interlocks with the center channel (like
when you curl the fingers of your two hands together) - this curl holds
the hood in place and also forms the hinge. I have photos, measurements,
etc - everyone I've talked to says that making this is impossible, which
is clearly not true since someone made them in 1936, and in fact most cars
of the mid 30s use the same design so the equipment must be around there
somewhere - so, how to make/where to get?
Oh - hinges for Fords are available, but the ford hood is about a foot
shorter (I need almost 48 inches long) so that's no good.

anyone interested in figuring this out? I can post diagrams/photos on my
web site if there is interest, then maybe someone can figure this out and
I can get these hinges done - it's only been 30 years now that I've been
puzzling about this

Ed - wanna get into the hood hinge business?

'Sounds great! We'll have to be careful to hold on to all three of our
customers, though. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress