Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Tapering problem

Well, someone asked me to post how I cut them.
The destacos are just snugged down.
When I have a thick piece of wood I use shims under the top table
(sitting on the saw in one picture).
Here are some images. The wood used for this demo wasn't squared.
A friend had moved and I had a piece of his wood with a label so it was
great you can see I rotated the label to the fence.
The destacos are not causing the cut to be off. The first cut would be
off then. It is always the second cut I believe.
In this case it was.

Cutting from the bottom up is not ideal. Logic will tell you you are
cutting against the grain, while tapering toward the bottom you are
going with the grain. Hence you get cleaner cuts cutting toward the bottom.
While cutting from the bottom may make the problem go away I don't want
to tear out and ruin a leg.

tiredofspam wrote:
Whenever I tape legs I always have to cleanup one side to get the
beginning of the taper perpendicular to the leg.

I am curious why? This leg that was squared in the planer has pencil
marks for clarity.

One side is perpendicular,
The other side is not. The blade comes up all the way thru and then
some, I use a high blade not just thru.

The way I rotate offers support on the backside.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I am getting tired of fixing
these after the fact.

Attached Thumbnails
Tapering problem-100_1385-jpg  Tapering problem-100_1382-jpg  Tapering problem-100_1383-jpg  Tapering problem-100_1384-jpg