Posted to alt.home.repair, pdaxs.services.plumbing, sci.chem
Joe Joe is offline

Default Anything I can pour into water heater that will dissolvedeposits?

On Dec 8, 6:27 am, Doc wrote:
Is there anything I can pour into a water heater that will dissolve
mineral deposits and definitely not damage anything inside the tank?
Hopefuly something that will work in a somewhat diluted solution since
buying enough Lime-Away etc. to fill far enough to reach the lower
element obviously isn't practical.

The tank is installed in such a way that once drained it would be
simple to detach it and move it around so rinsing and draining several
times shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Thanks for all input.

If you absolutely must experiment with a scale dissolving acid, use
oxalic acid, which you can buy as automotive radiator flush. It is
more potent than acetic acid, and far less harmful than muriatic
(hydrochloric) acid. $$-wise it will be less costly, but you're still
going to spend a fair amount, since the capacity of a typical
automotive system (one package) is 1/10th or less of a water heater.
HTH

Joe