Posted to alt.home.repair
sengsational sengsational is offline

Default Convection Microwave Sorta Dead

On Dec 7, 1:34 am, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
sengsational wrote:
.... controls seem to work fine (set it to nuke or to
"convect" something, the timer counts down as long as the door is
shut... just exactly like it's working), but the fan motor doesn't
start, there's no gentle hum of nuking. Set to convection, the fan
motor doesn't start (I didn't leave it on long enough to see if the
heating element heated).

Anyway, it sounds like maybe the momma transformer has given up the
ghost. Yes? The baby transformer is putting out it's 13, 3, and 8,
like it should, which is why the control panel is so happy.

www.repairfaq.org has lots o' information about microwave ovens.

Thanks for the reply. That site is going to take some serious time to
pick through!

Is there some kind of interlock that prevents the magnetron from
nuking if its cooling fan doesn't spin? I think I saw a sail switch
for this in ours.

Yeah, the interlocks seem to be working, but I'll double check. There
are two on the door. Opening the door stops the count-down clock, so
at least one of them is working. I tested both, and they both change
from open to closed (or closed to open) when the door is open and
shut. Might there be some other interlock besides the door? I have
the schematic, so I'll have another look.

www.microwavedisplays.com has lots of oven repair manuals available
online at no charge.

The site that used to be there must have moved....there's just one of
those "junk" sites there now...parked on that site, trying to sell it
for $500.

--Dale--