Posted to alt.home.repair, pdaxs.services.plumbing, sci.chem
ransley ransley is offline

Default Anything I can pour into water heater that will dissolvedeposits?

On Dec 8, 8:32 am, Jack wrote:
Doc wrote:
Is there anything I can pour into a water heater that will dissolve
mineral deposits and definitely not damage anything inside the tank?
Hopefuly something that will work in a somewhat diluted solution since
buying enough Lime-Away etc. to fill far enough to reach the lower
element obviously isn't practical.

The tank is installed in such a way that once drained it would be
simple to detach it and move it around so rinsing and draining several
times shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Thanks for all input.

Two hings come to mind. (1) Fill it with a cider vinegar solution and
let it set for awhile should work and is pretty safe.. (2) would be a
muratic acid solution, which would do the trick, but is much more
potent and so, harder to determine strength of solution and time to
let work. So I would try the vinegar first. a gallon of vinegar is
realitive inexpensive and fairly safe to use. As actually you could
taste the solution to determine how stong it was without any danger.
Not so with muratic acid!

I think anything strong enough would damage the parts of the tank like
where the drain valve is, I dought its 100% glass lined, call the
manufacturer.