Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing,sci.chem
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Anything I can pour into water heater that will dissolve deposits?

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 04:27:17 -0800 (PST), Doc
wrote:

Is there anything I can pour into a water heater that will dissolve
mineral deposits and definitely not damage anything inside the tank?
Hopefuly something that will work in a somewhat diluted solution since
buying enough Lime-Away etc. to fill far enough to reach the lower
element obviously isn't practical.

I'd use muriatic acid on just the element. If you can't get the
element out due to corrosion, then put some acid in a spray bottle and
cut the lime with that until it is out. Then put a couple cups in a
capped pvc pipe and dunk/rinse.

You can get the acid at a pool place if your local borg doesn't carry
it.

Use goggles, gloves & a respirator- and wear your old jeans.

The tank is installed in such a way that once drained it would be
simple to detach it and move it around so rinsing and draining several
times shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I'd rather replace the tank than remove/fill/rinse/rinse/rinse, & roll
around in between each rinse.

Jim