Peter T. Keillor III

Default Help me find this tool..

On 14 Jun 2004 23:51:09 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

In article ,
Ted Edwards wrote:
I had a simlar problem. I just posted my solution to the dropbox. See

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/baby_crimp.txt
"
Crimp-on Fittings for Small Cable
by Ted Edwards

See also baby_crimp1.jpg

That one appears to be one of the larger series of Daniels
crimpers (the blue anodize is the clue). Yes, they are intended for the
center terminals of coax connectors, or for insertable pin connectors
(including machined pins for RS-232 connectors). Obviously, a different
crimper is used for the rolled sheet metal contacts which are more
commonly found.

The recess shown normally accepts an interchangeable bushing nest
which holds the terminal at the right position for the four indenters to
crimp onto the wire, instead of crimping down in a solid part of the
terminal.

There should be a rotating ring (eight positions, IIRC) which
determines how tight a crimp is produced, for differing sizes of
terminals.

All in all -- very nice tools.

baby_crimp2.jpg

I've not seen this one before. It appears to be designed for
the stainless wire ferrules.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I had one of those once, for the insertable pin type connectors,
something like 34 pin. Yes, they're well made, but if you mung the
little fingers that grip the pin during a rewire, they're shot. I was
using them for I/O connections in a very early example of the moveable
skid layout I use for some pilot plants. Makes 'em reconfigurable. I
switched to sub D style ribbon cable connectors with keepers (much
less installation, easy to replace), and recently to on-board smart
I/O and networks (one co-ax or fiber pair).

Pete Keillor