Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default When I was a kid ............

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Dave Hinz wrote on 8 Dec 2007 02:00:38 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:14:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I remember the rocket crystal set...a friend had one and we tried it
out on different "antennas". One that worked well was the insulated
guy wire on electric power poles.

My crystal radio, I coupled to a wire run along the clothesline outside
my window. I used tinfoil inside & out on my bedroom window, and oddly
enough, it worked. Pretty sure I read about it somewhere, can't imagine
I would have made that up.

I taped a sheet of tin foil to the inside wall of my dorm, got
pretty decent reception using that as an "aerial".

Also fell asleep listening to the local ROCK station in Toronto.

World Something Radio, on shortwave here. Insert sound-effects here,
you know the ones.

Used to listen to WABC out of New York when I lived in Boston. The
Jean Shepard show. One night, he's reading the Cremation of Sam Magee
when I tune in. Gets tot he climactic ending, and shrieks! I shut off
the radio. Oops, now I don't know how it ends. Next day, I cop to my
Dad what I was doing, and he pulls the book off the shelf "The Collected
Poems of Robert Service." I still have that book.

--
pyotr filipivich
Old farts these days - no like when I was a boy. We used to