Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default New/old steel body panels

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
An article in the Nov. 25th recent issue of the NYT, "Rust-Free Reality:
Creating an All-New Classic," talks about the growing business of
supplying low-volume steel body panels to the restoration market. I've
been curious for a long while about what they're using for dies, and what
the processes are. As most of you know, making original dies for
high-volume car manufacture costs millions of dollars for each die.

Before I start spending time on it, does anyone know the story about these
steel panels?

--
Ed Huntress

Some where around here, I have a copy of the ASTME collected papers from
1962.

There was an article about using steel filled epoxy for short run draw dies.
They were making the same sort of panels. They were aluminum aircraft
panels, if I recall correctly, but I imagine the state of the art has
advanced in the last 45 years.

Paul K. Dickman