Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default New/old steel body panels

Ed Huntress wrote:

An article in the Nov. 25th recent issue of the NYT, "Rust-Free Reality:
Creating an All-New Classic," talks about the growing business of supplying
low-volume steel body panels to the restoration market. I've been curious
for a long while about what they're using for dies, and what the processes
are. As most of you know, making original dies for high-volume car
manufacture costs millions of dollars for each die.

Before I start spending time on it, does anyone know the story about these
steel panels?

--
Ed Huntress

I know little or nothing about the industry, but I recall reading
about a fellow that was making repro tanks for old Brit bikes. He was
making his press dies out of concrete.

Dunno if something similar is being done for limited run body panels.

It would definately speed things up to have a panel to use as a
master, rather than building the die from scrtach, I'd think.

Cheers
Trevor Jones