Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default When I was a kid ............

Lew Hartswick wrote:

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:14:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 7, 8:03 pm, Wes wrote:

"SteveB" wrote:

What was one of your favorites you didn't put yer eye out with.

I spent many a night drifting off to sleep listening to WSAL on my
crystal
radio.
http://www.wsal.com/

Wes

I remember the rocket crystal set...a friend had one and we tried it
out on different "antennas". One that worked well was the insulated
guy wire on electric power poles.

Also fell asleep listening to the local ROCK station in Toronto.

Managed to build a few too once I laid my hands on some schematics...
sold one or two of them IIRC.

Later on there were some really sophisticated circuits available.

Ahhh, memories.

Wolfgang

I used to scrounge old "tombstone" and "cathedral" sets, get the
"Radio College" schematics and totally rebuild them. FANTASTIC SW DX
with some of those radios. As well as BCDX.
Did my first complete strip and repop on an old RCA when I was13. It
was an early '30's model in '64/'65 for my grade 8 science project.
Boy I wish I still had a few of those around today!!!
When I left for Africa in '73 I got rid of about 200 tubes - about
half were NOS Octals and Loctals - an a handful of the old 0Z4 etc.

Built my first stereo Phono about the same time and the first LP I
bought was Wilf Carter - and I think I still have it.

Brings back a lot memories. Same kind of things but mine was done
in the 40s . By the 50s I was into Ham radio and the MARS station
at the 763 AC&W sta.
...lew...

Sorry, I meant to type Lew not Les. Damned fingers, I just washed them
and can't do a thing with them. :-)

Jim