Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Baker[_2_] Dave Baker[_2_] is offline

Default Does this sound like the bearings in a washing machine?

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
Could also be a slipping drive belt. I'm sure we've all heard that
appalling noise that some cars make when pulling away when the alternator
belt is slipping. Sounds metallic but isn't.

Thanks Dave but it definitely sounds like metal against metal. Its not
even a regular noise which would indicate something stuck or something
striking a part of the drum while it is spinning. It only happens when
there is a washing in and it is on high speed.

Which is the most likely time for the belt to slip.

Whip the back plate off and see if the belt looks shagged or the pulleys
glazed up. You could even watch it during a cycle and get a better idea of
where the noise is coming from.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines