Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith_765 keith_765 is offline

Default Rambling Rodents

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Had a weird job this morning. Customer is bothered by some kind of

rodent -
heard scratching under the dining room floor & also in the loft

conversion.

Been going on for years off & on. Stops for a while then starts again.

Poison has been put down in the loft & dead rats found.

The council rat expert reckoned they were getting into the (insulated)
cavity wall space & climbing up all the way into the loft. Well

maintained
end of terrace (four houses) in a nice area, other three neighbours nice,
clean respectable people. No squats, rubbish etc.

Guy employed me to lift some boards in the dining room & see if there was
any way they were getting in.

No sign under the floor of anything but loads of dust & a 1939 newspaper.
No droppings, no sign of any dust disturbance, plenty of undisturbed
cobwebs.

Can a rat really climb up two storeys through cavity wall insulation to
reach the loft?

Why would a rat want to do so? I guess its warm but no food source up
there.

Any thoughts?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Actually experienced this, while taking the roof off a two story hose and
extending to an extension. There was a pile of straw that starlings had
carried into the attic for nesting over a long period of time. I had to
remove the straw and after the first hand full was removed a rat jumped out,
ran up the drop on to the wall plate along the guttering on to the
scaffolding and disappeared. When I told the occupier about the rat, she
said that explains the disappearing potatoes in the extension. the rat was
climbing down the new cavity wall into the roof space. the evidence was the
white rat **** found in the straw.