Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
JCrowe JCrowe is offline

Default illuminated magnifiier

Hi Folks,
Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 12:06:07 -0500, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
wrote:

I need to get an illuminated magnifier for some scroll work. I can't see
the blade and line.

I was noticing that there are 3,5 and 11 diopter lenses.

A 5 diopter winds up being a magnification of 2.25 5 * 1/4 +1

So the question is, what should I get? Is 5 too powerful, is 3 to little.
Is 11 necessary?

Would like to get one today to get some Christmas work done.

There are several models. I have one inexpensive one with an
incandescent lamp. I think the ones with fluorescent might be better.
The larger the lens the better. I use it mostly for Dremmel work and
removing splinters. Try some out before you buy. A drafting lamp and
magnifying glasses might be all you need.

I have some of the same issues as others and the solution I am
looking at is a two part one...first, a Verilux lamp and then a
separate magnifier. The Verilux original clamp on lamp is a bit
cheaper than the spiffy black and yellow one, but they get some
very high ratings on focused, bright, widespectrum lighting. I am
finding myself needing this type of setup for layout and the like
as well as the things you folks mention.