Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ZACK ZACK is offline

Default pc dvd drive problem

i had the same prob with my LG
i updated the firmware, now it reads
anything.

"kronflux" wrote in message
hey, I've got what appears to be the following, according to windows:
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4082B

basically, its a dvd+rw drive.

anyway, the problem I'm having is that every so often, it simply won't
read the disk thats inserted. sometimes it even sounds like the disk
isn't spinning up at all.
you put a cd in, the light on the front flashes for a second, and then
it stops. nothing happens.
but then other times, it works better than any drive I've had in the
past.

I assume this could be a variety of problems, such as dirty laser, bad
tray, misalignments.. but I figure I'd ask here first, before I go
playing with things, like I said in my post about my monitor.. I'm no
technician.

Once, it seemed to have completely stopped working. so I took it
apart, thinking "well, I can't do any further damage to it." and I
didn't see anything visibly wrong, so without touching a thing, I put
it back together. it worked again. but then after about a week or so,
it started acting up again.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.