Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Turning Trend - Ontology Recapitulates Phylogeny - In Reverse?

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:30:58 -0800, charlieb wrote:

But there's a part of me that feels really constrained if forced
to "stay within the lines". I really like doing multi-axis pieces
with cross sections that aren't just round - and flat areas
are like facets on a gemstone - areas which play with light-
and shadows. Smooth and shiny is nice - put sometimes the
nature of the wood begs to leave - or bring out - it's texture.
And there are some woods which turn beautifully - but have
no visual interest - that almost plead to be made more
interesting. Smooth and shiny are so very predictable.
Texturing introduces shadows to the surface of the piece
and can make the look of the piece change significantly
as the vantage point changes.

If I get your drift, Charlie, I agree completely..

I've seen bowls at shows that were technically perfect in shape, finish, wall
thickness, etc... and they were not only boring, they looked like plastic..

I've new to professional turning, but I've found that imperfect, knotty, bark
included, holes, etc. out sell nice round bowls every time..
They can buy some really nice bowls at Wal-Mart if that's what they're into..

20 or so years ago, I used only kiln dried blanks and if I got a crack or know,
it was a disaster..

Now, partly because of Mr. Feltmate's excellent pages on turning firewood, I
have gone way off to the other end of the spectrum... If I'm going to glue and
clamp a crack, instead of using matching shaving and trying to hide it, I've
been saving plastic bags of shavings from different woods that I turn..

Sometimes, a crack in a white ash bowl that's been filled with bloodwood or
ebony shavings looks better to me than a perfectly blended patch job..

I try to find a shape and style that accents the wood, not my work, and is
pleasing to the eye and touch..
If I can do that, I really don't care if it sells, it might be special enough to
give as a gift..

I don't do a lot of beads and stuff but there is a definite place for them...
sort of why most cars have body-side molding..

I haven't got into texturing or multi-axis, but if I stay alive and healthy for
a few more years, they're on my list of things to learn...

Right now I'm nursing my hands and pride after turning 3 wing bowls this week...
OUCH! thump, thump, OUCH...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing