Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] grants2@pacbell.net is offline

Default Clausing 5914 Questions

On Dec 1, 4:31 pm, Paul wrote:
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I'm going to look at a Clausing 5914 being sold by a welding shop that
is closing at yearend, and I'm looking for a list of issues to be aware
of. The seller is an electrician and makes no claim to be a machinist,
and isn't able to answer my questions.

What I do know: 13" by 40", 208 volts 3 phase, motor HP unknown. Lots
of accessories are included, but the seller does not know their names or
functions.

I also have some more general questions.

1. Does or can the 5914 come with a camlock spindle? (The seller said
it was both camlock and threaded; he may have been thinking of the 5C
collets showing in the photo.) Or did people adapt threaded spindles
somehow? If yes, how well does it work?

2. It is claimed that this 5914 is varispeed. Is this possible? I
suppose someone could have modified the machine.

3. How well does the varispeed work, and what are its failure modes?

4. I think that the machine is under power, so I'll be able to listen
to bearings. What else should I look for in the headstock?

5. I'll look at the ways for wear. The claim is that condition is
good, but who knows what that means.

6. What is the footprint and weight of this machine?

7. What things usually break?

8. What have I missed?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

I have a 5904, same as a 5914 but shorter, which was well used when I
got it. These machines typically have an L-00 spindle, which is
relatively easy to find chucks, etc. for. I never heard of one with a
camlock spindle, but some of these lathes might have threaded spindles.
Ways are hardened so hopefully they won't be worn. These are variable
speed, using a hydraulically actuated variable cone pulley arrangement.
The drive is probably the weakest link, having plastic sleeve bushings
that wear and if not repaired cause wear to other drive components that
can run into some money to fix. Motors were 2hp, at least mine was.
Mine also had a sheared key on the backgear shaft that ended up running
about $200 in parts to fix. Parts are still available from Clausing for
these machines, maybe not the major castings but most other parts. Get
the serial number, located near the front V way at the tailstock end of
the bed and Clausing can sell you a manual for that particular lathe,
and tell you when it was made.

These are nice machines, superior to South Bends etc. Parts are
available and quite a few were made so accessories such as steadies and
followers can be had. Figure weight to be in the 1000 to 1100 LB range,
I hauled mine in the back of my pickup, unloading it with a chainfall
and moving it around in the shop with an engine hoist.

I just finished converting mine to a VFD setup, my varidrive, while
having a few annoying issues still worked well enough but then a VFD
presented itself so I changed it over.

If the one you are looking at isn't rusty and beat all to hell you'll be
happy with it, if it has a collet closer grab that as well.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

I bought one (5914) 20 years ago for $400, put $1000 of parts in it
and still have a $400 lathe (worn bed). The parts are available but
not cheap. Most of these are old enough (1960's) to have bed wear or
other problems common to old lathes. However the overall design and
manufacture of this model is first rate, so if the bed is straight and
not badly worn, you might have a winner. The hydraulic mechanism for
the cone pulley is also a typical worn area as are the cone bearings,
sleeves, etc. The cone pulley jackshaft is also pretty noisy. I
replaced all of the motor and jackshaft bearings in mine which are
easy to find except for one thin shell "torque tube" bearing which is
rarely stocked (check aircraft suppliers). One common fix is to
replace the whole variable speed arrangement with an VFD (variable
frequency drive inverter). At 2 hp it is possible to find these with
230 v single phase input and 230 v 3 phase output, which most of these
lathes require. Enough of these lathes are around you might be able
to sell the original vari-speed parts to cover some of the inverter
costs. The L00 chuck has a MT4.5 (four and one half!) taper, so be
aware of that if setting it up for 5C collets. Clausing (Royal also)
sells the adapter and some Chinese/Taiwan lathes also did this (my 10
x 24 TIDA for instance). Look at the oil levels in the spindle and
apron, as there are sight windows on both. It is also easy to remove
the spindle cover for a look inside.

Chuck up a piece of 1" or larger by 10" aluminum rod and take some
light cuts to true it over the exposed length. (w/o tailstock center)
Mike the diameter every inch. If the diameters group tight enough for
your use, go for it. Usually most of the bed wear is in the first 3
or 4 inches of carriage travel. If you are really ambitious, the
lathe can be stripped down and the bed reground (it is hardened) for
$500+/- if you can find a shop with a big enough surface grinder.

If it is in really good shape, don't be afraid to pay up to the cost
of a new Chinese 12 x 36 ($3000+). My 13 x 40 gear head JET cost me
$4000 and I would give it up any day for a 5914 in great shape.