Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Beginner's Choice of Digital Camera

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote
Hey Peetie, did you get my note?

Per below? Got it.

Ok sorry, I must have missed your reply in the blizzard of spam.

I seem the only one who actually has one
of them and sent you a rundown on them. Just wondering as you repied to
many others but i didnt see any questions to the only one who owns one.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:02:26 -0800, "Cshenk" wrote:

I think thats the same model I have. It looks just like mine but I can't
check as it's in one of the many boxes not yet unpacked after our move
back
to the states.

Did you unpack it? It is indeed an A560? Even if it's an A550 or
whatever, there's some good info here.

It's the same one. Unpacked it now. Took a bit to find it.

I think you will be happy with it. Its a little bit 'fancy' in that it
has
lots of added features but it also will work in a simpler 'point and
click'
which the really high end units don't do as easy.

Check.

Some say the Canon SD1000 is better. Comes with recharger, etc.
Features are -very- similar. Costs maybe $40 more, mostly it's
just smaller. I think I'll stick with the A560, but I'll see
how it fits in my hand, etc before pucrhasing.

That one may be better. I figured you have the Sears gift card so are
limited to what they have. If they have both, try them out?

2 drawbacks but as far as i know, all digitals have the same problem and
it's a matter of degree.

1- not much memory at all so you really need an addon card. You'll also
lose any stored pictures in the camera's own memory when you slide the new
card in.

Was news to me. Thanks.

I see others tell you that you'll need a memory card too. It suprized me
when I got mine that we needed to run back next day to get a card. As I was
usng it overseas in foriegn ports (am Navy, was stationed in Japan and on
the high seas 9 months of the year), I neede to be able to snap away for
hours on end and then store the pics.

This model takes the less expensive cards and sears will have
them. You don't need a huge card but I did so it cost me about 75$ I
think.
You can probably get away witht he smallest one and I think those were 25$
or so? You can store something like 4 pictures at the higher resolutions
without the addon card. You can get the card later after trying the
camera
out. You should be allowed to try it out at sears and see how many pics
at
the resolution you find useful, will fit. You'll need 2 AA batteries.
They
might require you provide them to try the camera out grin.

I think 1 gb SD cards are down to $10-$15, no sweat.

Yup. Figure that will work for you. You wont often be 3-4 days away from a
computer where you can crossload them off so that will work. You have to
get the type for that camera but they are common ones.

2- Eats batteries fast. To attempt to save them, it autoshuts off. I
think
that can be turned off if it starts to be a problem. Sometimes the
batteries die when the lens is extended and you cant retract it til you
put
in fresh batteries.

Didn't think of that. Guess it makes sense, 'tho.

It takes 2 AA's so the 'recharger' part of the other unit isnt workable
here.

It seems to slowly leach batteries even when turned
off? If you plan to use it alot, you may find it 'cheaper' to get some
rechargable batteries and a small recharger. We have a recharger that
cost
us about 25$ but it does AA, C, and D cells plus the 9V rectangle ones.
You
might be able to find a simpler unit for just AA cells for 10$. Maybe
Craigslist.com and a hunt of your area will turn up a freebie grin, hey,
worth checking!)

I can look into that after I've got/fiddled the cam.

Trying to remmember but i think I would get a day's use per set of
batteries.

Oh, sideline. If you use batteries of any type often, rechargables are
much
more cost effective. Just be sure you get the rechargable type. They cost
little more but are safe to recharge. The regular non-rechargable ones
are
not safe to recharge. The rechargable ones last a very long time with an
estimate of at least 20 times in my own experience. Above when I
mentioned
the camera eating batteries, it is not related to recharged ones as I'd
have
to get new ones when away from home (and the recharger). I noted no
difference in recharged ones and regular ones.

Good to know.

I'll just let it eat regular batteries for a couple-3 pairs, whilst I'm
getting used to the cam.

Ok! You won't have any expense in this unit other than batteries and 3 sets
will work for a time to let you see how they last for you.