Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Plywood foundation for granite slab counter top

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:31:42 -0500, "EXT"
wrote:

Counter tops get replaced. Even granite can become damaged if chipped or
cracked because of a number of reasons. Bonding direct to the cabinets can
make removal difficult without further damage to the cabinets. Personally,
and our installer had no problems with it, a 3/4" plywood base was installed
over the cabinets. It was all attached with screws from below so that it
could be removed without having to pry the granite off the top to locate the
screws. It is more work to install the plywood this way but I find it
better. If you have a drywalled section, you could cut an access hole in the
drywall as it is easily patched.

wrote in message
I'm replacing the counter tops in my kitchen with granite slab. I'll
be removing the old counter tops myself, and installing the plywood
foundation over the existing cabinets.

Are there any issues with driving in fasteners from above the plywood
rather than below?

Most everything that I've read calls out fastening from below. For
most of the job I will be able to do this. However I have a raised
bar area (4" wide x 72" long) that is drywalled on both sides, so I
won't have access from beneath.

Thanks,
Brian

Sorry I have to ask. How often will a home owner need to remove a
granite counter top?

--
Oren

"equal opportunity, not equal results"