Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Creating Formica Countertop in home office

In article vRi6j.71$0O1.56@trnddc05, wrote:
Formica is an art unto itself and although it is not hard to
do, it requires some special skills that you may not want to
have to acquire while learning on a small project.

I would go with the other responders suggestion to get post
formed countertops and just build the support to set them on.
Check the corner for squareness and then get two mitered
pieces to fit the two walls. All you have to do is cut them
to length, lay them in place, install the bolts to pull the
miters together, and screw them down from underneath.

I considered this approach too. However, I really wanted
to round one of the corners are it was hopeless trying
to find a ready-made piece.

So I decided to do it myself. I was easily able to make
the pieces to a pretty decent standard. I did buy a small
palm router (the Bosch Colt) and found it pretty easy to
use with a flush-trim bit, despite the fact I had never
used any kind of router before. I was a little nervous
on the first piece but, after that, it was a walk in the
park.

Here's a shot of part of that project:

http://www.malch.com/DSC_4757.jpg

The shelves are 3/4in ply with laminate on the top and
front edges. Poly on ply undersides. The countertop/desk
was built in exactly the same manner.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |