Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Creating Formica Countertop in home office

"Alex" wrote in message
Hello,

We're converting our garage into a family room, and with this I hope
to convert a small 10x7 closet into a home office. Instead of finding
bulky furniture for the room, I'd like to cut counters and place on
two walls in an L shape, and top the counters with formica.

Two questions... what material is best to use for the counter tops
under the formica? I've seen people do this before, but I never
questioned what material they used. And second, how do i get the
formica to stick to the unfinished counter? I've heard of people
heating it, but i'd assume glue would be best.

I tried to find a few How-Tos or DIY articles on this online, but had
no luck.

Thanks,

Alex

2 layers of 3/4" mdf as a base, glued together. use contact cement. there's
a brochure you can get at home depot in the same place as the formica that
tells you how to do this. you can also order premade custom sized
countertops there for cheaper than buying the materials to make them.