Posted to sci.electronics.repair
pdp11tech pdp11tech is offline

Default Color bleeding on 19" Toshiba TV

On Dec 7, 10:41 am, Bruce Esquibel wrote:

The description of the problem I remember quite well, flaring, comet tails,
color bleeding off one edge, always going in the same direction. Don't
remember working on Toshiba's but remember the problem was common on
Panasonics and Quasars in that period (early/mid 80's).

That's the problem exactly.

They were probably the 1st generation that used video jungles, complex large
scale ic's to near do everything from take in from the tuner and spit out
RGB.

Same with this set, it has a single circuit board in the bottom with
what I would consider to be an amazingly small number of components
for a color television.

I'd try to narrow down odd ball caps around anything that looks like the
video processor ic, 1uf at 160v or 200uf at 3v, anything that is marked that
seems lop-sided with rating vs. voltage or visa versa.

Sounds like a plan, or maybe I should just recap the whole set,
probably wouldn't be much money and just an afternoon's work with a
soldering iron. Will have to pull the back off and take inventory of
the electrolytics.

But I do agree, with it at the quarter-century mark at age, I wouldn't put
that much effort in it, rainy day project at best.

It will be less work than trying to revamp my entire home
entertainment unit for a TV with a different form factor. :-) Also I
hate the idea of discarding something that probably just needs minor
repairs. I am still seeing new CRT-type sets around for sale that
would fit, but they look like cheap Chinese junk that would probably
last about six months and would be pretty much unrepairable.