Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Tapering problem

"Nova" wrote

Also check you jig to make sure it isn't bowed. A Destaco clamp can
exert a lot of pressure and may be flexing the jig.

Good point ... "clamping pressure" on the jig may certainly be a
contributing factor that would be easy to overlook providing that the
clamping pressure, on subsequent taper cuts, is applied to the previously
cut taper on the leg.

However, if the clamp is on a part of the leg that remains square, and, if
the leg is indeed square, as the OP states he verified, then the pressure
exerted by any clamp on the jig should be the same for both the cuts that
work, and those that don't.

That something ain't exactly "square", in some plane, is a sure bet ...
finding out what it is from cut to cut, and whether you can do anything
about it, still remains a mystery.

I'm glad the OP brought this up, because I've noted the same thing for
years, but got to the point the I expected to have deal with it on at least
one tapered leg out of four.

I generally only taper the two inside faces when I taper legs, and almost
always, just as the OP described, at least one cut on some leg is a bit
"off", although rarely so bad that it can't be dealt with ... but you still
have to deal with it.

.... still looking for that "eureka!"

--
www.e-woodshop.net