Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Tapering problem

In article , tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
[top posting corrected]

Doug Miller wrote:
If you can, reverse the jig so that you're cutting from the end of the leg up
to the shoulder, rather than from the shoulder to the end. If you can't, get
or make a jig that does allow this. Novak's right about blade deflection. That
might not be the (entire) problem you're having, but it's not helping, and
should be eliminated as a possible cause.

The blade is a Forrest WW II
With the large stabilizer.
So there is a lot of support to prevent deflection.
Although the stabilizer is meant for vibration to get clean cuts, I am
sure it helps with deflection.

Yes, it helps, but much less than you suppose. Think of the taper as a wedge
pushing the blade sideways; if the taper is, say, a quarter-inch per foot,
that wedge gives you a 48-to-1 mechanical advantage, which translates into a
helluva sideways force on the blade.

Try cutting your tapers starting at the end of the leg and finishing at the
shoulder. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I suspect something in your
setup isn't square or straight.

--
Regards,