Posted to alt.home.repair
trbo20 trbo20 is offline

Default Dirty Kitchen Woes

On Dec 7, 11:31 am, wrote:
My fiance & I just purchased our first home, a foreclosure that had
been abandoned for over a year. We're trying to get it ready to move
in by Christmas (please cross your fingers for me!), but there's still
a lot to do. The kitchen is the biggest task of all.

The cabinets are original (1941) and painted white. There is an
offwhite laminate or formica countertop with stainless steel edges.
There are all kinds of things caked to the stainless steel edge.
We've pulled out most of the contact paper from the drawers and
cabinets, and all of the wallpaper is down.

I plan on using Murphy's Oil Soap for the cabinets, TSP for the walls
(to help remove any leftover wallpaper paste) and maybe steel wool for
the edge of the counter?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly doing this
job myself (ugh), and I am open to any and all advice. I'm so new to
this!

Thanks a million!

Stephanie

I've had good luck cutting counter plaque with paper towels dipped in
straight isopropyl rubbing alcohol. It also works well on range hoods
with built-up grease deposits. Just be careful to not get it on
painted or lacquered surfaces. It will degloss paint and reliquify
the lacquer.