Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Suggestions for anchoring wood post to ipe decking

Doug Houseman writes:
In article C436j.3961$UG1.2431@trnddc01,
Robert Allison wrote:

blueman wrote:
I just replaced the decking on our covered entrance porch with T&G ipe
decking.

Now I need to find a way to re-anchor the porch columns and railing
posts back to the decking or joists below. The posts which I am
re-using were previously just toenailed to the decking (and maybe the
joists below) with 16d or 20d galvinized finish nails.

If the new deck were regular wood, I could have either toenailed in
finish nails again or toenailed in trimhead deck screws.

The challenge with Ipe is that it needs predrilling to prevent
splitting or breaking of the fastener.

However, for toenailing a post, I would need a drill bit that is about
4 inches long in order to go through the post and then into the
decking and beyond. But, they don't seem to make thin drill bits in
that length (or at least I couldn't find them in the Big Box store).

The only alternative I can think of is to use something like a 1/4"
lag bolt but that would require some serious countersinking of the
head and seems a bit of overkill.

So any other ideas on how to fasten suports to the deck surface (note
since I am using the existing design with the existing posts and since
I have already applied the deck, I don't have the luxury to redesign
the post system)

Sounds like just the place for a simpson post base. Select
one that matches your application. Much stronger than
toenailing and conforms to code for uplift if you get the
right one.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...A-ABE-ABU.html

You may want to consider timberlock screws - they come in 4-1/2 to 12
inch lengths and are about 1/8 inch in diameter. The heads have a small
washer like feature, but they are 1/3 the size of a lag bolt. I have
been using them for several years with good results on decks, barns and
other outdoor structures. The Borgs and Menards carry them.

That sounds like a good idea! Much better than the 4" deck screws or
Home Depot bagged #10x4" or #12x4" screws that I was considering.

Thanks.