Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default converting steam to hot water

On Dec 7, 9:50 am, "Pete C." wrote:
mike wrote:

has anyone gone through the process of converting a steam system to
hot water by using the old steam radiators and piping? i have been
told i can do this since i have a two pipe system with the hot water
type of radiators. but I can't help but wonder whether my the size of
my steam pipes is too large. i think my main is 3". also i wonder if
the system will leak with hot water. any thoughts. thanks.

Why would you convert it? Steam heating works well and new steam boilers
are readily available. Not like it's something obsolete. You can fuel a
steam boiler with gas or oil, just like a hot water boiler. Why try to
partially convert a system to make it less efficient?

i would like to zone my house. my boiler is at one end of my house
where coal used to be delivered. certain rooms are much colder than
others. my problem is finding someone that really knows steam well.
also i think my house has too many radiators for the size of the
house. i have done quite a bit of insulation. so i think water at a
lower than steam will fix my over radiation problem. does that make
any sense or am i just using screwy logic?