Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default converting steam to hot water

In article , mike wrote:
has anyone gone through the process of converting a steam system to
hot water by using the old steam radiators and piping? i have been
told i can do this since i have a two pipe system with the hot water
type of radiators. but I can't help but wonder whether my the size of
my steam pipes is too large. i think my main is 3".

Yes, it is. The water velocity will be too low for adequate heating: radiators
closest to the boiler will be much too hot, and those farthest away will be
cold.

also i wonder if
the system will leak with hot water.

I don't see why it should. Residential hot water systems typically aren't
pressurized above 15-20 psi; I'm guessing you probably have at least that much
in your current steam system.

any thoughts. thanks.

Main thought is, "Why would you want to?"

--
Regards,