Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bruce Esquibel Bruce Esquibel is offline

Default Color bleeding on 19" Toshiba TV

Deke no wrote:

: "pdp11tech" wrote in message
:
: Specifically, bright images on the screen (such as white shirts,
: brightly-lit windows, white lettering, etc.) will exhibit a bluish
: bleeding or tearing effect, always horizontally to the right of the
: bright object. The picture is otherwise very good and stable, with
: good contrast, color, and brightness.

: picture tube (CRT) showing signs of age, IMO.
: Time for a new TV. After 23 years, I believe you've got your money out of
: the Toshiba.

No, as someone else mentioned, it's time to start pulling electrolytics. I'd
bet the CRT is fine.

The description of the problem I remember quite well, flaring, comet tails,
color bleeding off one edge, always going in the same direction. Don't
remember working on Toshiba's but remember the problem was common on
Panasonics and Quasars in that period (early/mid 80's).

They were probably the 1st generation that used video jungles, complex large
scale ic's to near do everything from take in from the tuner and spit out
RGB.

I'd try to narrow down odd ball caps around anything that looks like the
video processor ic, 1uf at 160v or 200uf at 3v, anything that is marked that
seems lop-sided with rating vs. voltage or visa versa.

I remember it was harder to find (at that time) the replacements over which
one was bad.

Just saying it's more likely a problem in the video stage rather than power
supply, horizontal/high voltage sections or CRT and related convergence
controls.

But I do agree, with it at the quarter-century mark at age, I wouldn't put
that much effort in it, rainy day project at best.

-bruce