Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Using newspapers to heat the shop

On Dec 7, 1:29 pm, "Stupendous Man" wrote:
I use newspaper to light the woodstove at work. Lots of ash in newspaper,
and the shiney parts like store ads are nearly useless as they have so much
clay in the paper.
Stupendous Man,

I see the same thing. I can light a wad of it, close the door and have
it go out!
Before widespread recycling a thick stack of papers on top of two
logs
with 0.15" of whistling draft feeding in from below would burn quite a
while in
my wood stove but now the voluminous ash chokes the fire.

Newsprint still burns better than office paper, though.

I burned a lot of classified documents when I was in the Army.
We had a perforated oil drum rotated by a crank to tumble bundles of
paper.
Single sheets may burn well but even back then it was really hard to
burn a
thick pile of paper.

Jim Wilkins