Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Tapering problem

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
.. .
Whenever I tape legs I always have to cleanup one side to get the
beginning of the taper perpendicular to the leg.

I am curious why? This leg that was squared in the planer has pencil
marks for clarity.

One side is perpendicular,
The other side is not. The blade comes up all the way thru and then
some, I use a high blade not just thru.

The way I rotate offers support on the backside.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I am getting tired of fixing
these after the fact.

Think about what you are doing here a bit. Your blade is round. Think
stopped dado being made on a TS. Is the end straight up and down/ square?
No.

He's making through cuts, not dados.

Tapering the cut exaggerates the result. Because the upper part of
the round blade begins to cut farther down the taper you get the slanted
line.

Ummmm.... no.

Maybe you should try an experiment or two.

You need to use a blade that cuts perpendicular to the work to have a taper
begin or end squarely.

Utter nonsense.

Try your bandsaw.

A better alternative is to figure out what he's doing wrong on the tablesaw.

For the OP: Sorry, I don't know what that might be. But I do know that
perfectly fine tapers with nice perpendicular edges can easily be cut on a
tablesaw if it's done properly.

Double-check your setups. Make *certain* that:
- the leg blanks are square in cross-section, and free of twist.
- the saw blade is at 90 degrees to the table.
- the jig is traveling exactly parallel to the blade.

If you can, reverse the jig so that you're cutting from the end of the leg up
to the shoulder, rather than from the shoulder to the end. If you can't, get
or make a jig that does allow this. Novak's right about blade deflection. That
might not be the (entire) problem you're having, but it's not helping, and
should be eliminated as a possible cause.

--
Regards,