Posted to alt.home.repair
Liza J. Rhoads Liza J. Rhoads is offline

Default New oil furnaces

First a little flattery: This newsgroup is one of the best & most
helpful. Your help a few years ago re wiring did me a real service.
Please don't give up because of all the garbage you've been bombarded
with lately. This too shall pass..

Now. My old. old gravity flow oil furnace, which I dearly love, has
finally seen it's last days. Repair parts no longer available for the
motor. Yes, it's that old. FYI, in case that is only true in my area
(Portland,OR), the motor is :

Williams Hi Pressure oil burner
Model "A"' Ser.# 79489, CD-21839

Tech (who I trust but...) can't find new replacement & parts not
available. I'll have to keep on pushing those red buttons 'til problem
resolved. I like oil heat and, with the price of all fuel so high,
extra cost if any is of no concern.
And no, gas is not an alternative.

I'm considering a new oil fired furnace to run on bio-diesel. Ideally a
dual fuel oil/electric. Is such a thing made? Haven't asked my tech.
And, if made, do you have any reccommendations.. Same request for which
company makes a good unit.

The old monster was converted from wood? coal? before my time & has the
old "octopus" vent & cold air return pipes asbestos wrapped which I can
remove myself. No need for the NASA crew. Probably not suitable for a
new unit so this won't be a cheap install.

Have read in here about some kind of "Schedule ?" that should be done
for best results. Refresh my memory.

OK. Talk amongst yourselves. I have to switch users to access this
group so if you have ??? please feel free to email. Address is good.
I'll take my chances on the spam. Now be nice & put up with this
Webtv'er. Works for me.

Breathlessly awaiting. "Liza

"Life is short. Eat chocolate"